Mosquitoes are not just annoying pests, they can be downright deadly! With diseases such as the West Nile and Zika, it is now more important than ever to prevent mosquitoes in your yard. All mosquitoes need to lay their eggs is an inch of standing water, and from there one mosquito can easily turn to hundreds.
Here are some things you can do to prevent mosquitoes from ruining your summer.
Get Rid of Standing Water!
Mosquitoes can breed just about anywhere there is standing water. Here are some places to check that you may not have thought about:
- Remove all discarded tires from your property. Drill holes in the bottom of tires used for swings or other playground equipment so water cannot collect in them.
- Turn over or remove all water-holding containers (tin cans, plastic jugs) lying around your yard.
- Drill holes in the bottom of any unused containers so water won’t collect inside.
- Turn over plastic wading pools and wheelbarrows when not in use.
- Eliminate any standing water that collects on your property.
- Change the water and clean birdbaths weekly. Cleaning the bath removes organic matter and changing the water removes any mosquito eggs or larvae.
- Clear leaves and twigs from your Eavestroughs, storm and roof gutters throughout the summer.
- Check flat roofs frequently and remove any standing water.
- Remove dense brush and weeds where mosquitoes rest and hide during the day.
- Turn over compost piles on a regular basis.
- Fill in any low depression areas in lawns.
- Immediately throw away raked leaves and other decaying items—such as apples or berries—that fall from trees. If they are not to be composted, place them in a closed container until disposal.
- Put a filter in your pond to keep the water moving.
Tree and Shrub Spraying
Another surefire way to keep mosquitoes out of your yard is regular tree spraying. Aronica Plant Health Care offers tree spraying for ticks and mosquitoes that is not only highly effective but safe for your family and pets. If you are interested in setting up a tick and mosquito spraying program for your yard, call Aronica Plant Health Care at (631) 928-9000